[PSA] Linux < v6.0.12 may cause issues with barebox' boot /mnt/nfs

Ahmad Fatoum a.fatoum at pengutronix.de
Wed Dec 14 08:51:18 PST 2022

Hi,

just ran into this myself today, so I figured I post a heads up:

Between v6.0-rc6 and v6.0.12, boot /mnt/nfs in barebox may result in
the kernel hanging due to the kernel NFS server replying with corrupted
data. This didn't affect all clients, but some barebox and QEMU configurations
manage to run into it.

This issue has been fixed with ac8db824ead0 ("NFSD: Fix reads with a
non-zero offset that don't end on a page boundary"), which is part of
v6.1-rc7 and v6.0.12.

If boot /mnt/nfs hangs for you, consider using boot net instead, which
will use TFTP in barebox and NFS in Linux, which should work around this
bug. Alternatively cp /mnt/nfs/boot/zImage / and boot from ramfs.

Or deploy a kernel with above change applied. Debian unstable currently
ships 6.0.0-0.deb11.2-amd64, which is affected.

Cheers,
Ahmad