nios2 and openrisc in barebox

Stafford Horne shorne at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 07:45:00 EST 2021

Hello,

On Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 08:17:41AM +0100, Yann Sionneau wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am adding Stafford Horne in CC, as I think he might want to help about
> openrisc port :)
>
> Cheers
>
> Yann
>
> On 23/02/2021 10:59, Sascha Hauer wrote:
> > Hi Franck, Antony
> >
> > Are you still interested in barebox support for NIOS2 and openrisc? If
> > not I would consider removing it. Background is that we are planning to
> > introduce green threads and implement pollers with them which makes
> > green threads rather mandatory. Green threads need a setjmp/longjmp
> > implementation that would have to be added for these architectures.
> >
> > Keeping the architectures is no big deal normally, but I don't want to
> > add untested new functionality, also I don't want to implement things
> > that nobody uses, so if you are still interested it would be great if
> > you volunteer to implement setjmp/longjmp.

I am the maintainer of most OpenRISC things right now.  I would be happy to
help, but I don't really use barebox right now.  Most of my deployments I use
with litex FPGA SoC's that has its own bootloader.

That said, we have a setjmp/longjmp implementation in our glibc port which I
have been testing for upstreaming lately.

  https://github.com/stffrdhrn/or1k-glibc/blob/or1k-port-2/sysdeps/or1k/setjmp.S
  https://github.com/stffrdhrn/or1k-glibc/blob/or1k-port-2/sysdeps/or1k/__longjmp.S

I had a look at the barebox docs and openrisc port, it seems like there is
support for our standard platform, or1ksim, which is the same as my de0-nano
fpga board/soc and qemu.  I should be able to make use of this.

Is there a branch where you are doing the green thread work?  I could add and
test the OpenRISC implementation.

-Stafford