Getting serial console output on new imx7d tqma7 board UART4

Ahmad Fatoum a.fatoum at pengutronix.de
Thu Jul 30 09:55:18 EDT 2020

Hi,

On 7/30/20 12:16 PM, Lars Pedersen wrote:
> Thanks for the quick response :) I have made some inline comments
>
> Additionally I have fixed the __dtb_z_ unrelated issue, but still
> troubles to get some output. Could you maybe send me a barebox binary
> for an mx6 or mx7 board? I'm still unsure if it has the correct binary
> format.

Can you not compile a i.MX7-EVK barebox and run it on the EVK?
If this doesn't work, this is a different issue.

> My current Kconfig values look like this. Maybe you can see something
> missing.I have patched drivers/regulator/Kconfig (ARCH_IMX7) so that I
> can enable REGULATOR_PFUZE, which is used on the tqma7d board. From
> what I can see the NXP i.MX7 SabreSD board uses a PF3000 PMIC too so
> iam unsure why it can work without this fix.

DEBUG_LL lets barebox print a > symbol first thing it boots. This should
work for you regardless of any PMIC configuration.

>>> So I guess that the DCD table part now should be correct. So the
>>> question is if this is and lowlevel.c/board.c boilerplate issue or
>>> maybe I need something in the Kconfig menu.
>>
>> Enable CONFIG_DEBUG_LL and see how far barebox comes.
>> See the inline comment from my last mail.
>
> I missed some of the last comments but I have already enabled
> CONFIG_DEBUG_LL and can't get any console output to appear. UART4 has
> been selected in the menu for this.

Then that's what you need to focus on. Prior to that '>', not much
code has run. If you don't come that far, chances are you set up your serial port
wrong (looks correct to me though) or your DCD table is wrong...

Cheers,
Ahmad