rk3188 (radxa rock pro) boot failure w/ barebox 2018-04 and later

Sam Ravnborg sam at ravnborg.org
Thu Sep 13 05:37:46 PDT 2018

Hi S.

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 01:18:54PM +0200, perachet7 at gmail.com wrote:
> Hey list,
>
> Between 2018-04 and 2018-05 tar release, barebox stops booting on rk3188
> (radxa rock pro).
>
> A git bisect reveals (see end of mail for commit detail):
> 	first bad commit: [2a94e821ba2e64890ac47b9ba177c7b6585b23be] ARM: For
> relocatable image force TEXT_BASE 0x0.
>
> As was suggested on #barebox, I tried setting TEXT_BASE=0x10 at this commit
> but it's a no fix.
>
> It is however booting even later releases if the trailing "if !RELOCATABLE" is
> removed. I have yet to have a deeper look at the code modified by
> HAVE_CONFIGURABLE_TEXT_BASE and RELOCATABLE.
>
> Furthermore, it seems the commit itself is only triggering a boot failure. The
> proper code causing it is probably hiding someplace else.
>
> Any direction, ideas or hints given is appreciated.

I was hit by a do-not-boot issue as well after upgrading to 2018.05.
In my case this was due to a fix to get_runtime_offset()
It turned out that I had subtraced the value, not added.
Looks like an artifict from some code I copied some time ago.

Maybe this hint can help you, and maybe this is totally unrelated.

Good luck chasing it down.

	Sam