how to persistently save config values

Giorgio Dal Molin giorgio.nicole at arcor.de
Fri Sep 29 01:25:03 PDT 2017

Hi,

I'm working on a new project with an embedded system based on
a standard intel PC.

I already have a barebox.efi running on the system; my problem is now
how to permanently save some variables so that, on restart, they can be
automatically restored by my '/env/bin/init' script.
The variables I mean are for example 'eth0.ipaddr' or 'eth0.serveraddr'.
A solution I used in the past was a custom 'env_dump' command that generated
a config text file like:

eth0.ipaddr=10.0.0.15
eth0.serveraddr=10.0.0.1

Then I saved the file with 'saveenv' and restored it back with 'loadenv'.

Is there a better way to solve this problem ? I don't like very much having to
write 'custom commands' myself.

I had a look at the state framework but it seems kinda overkill for what I need.

giorgio