Bootchooser - remaining_attempts

Çağlar Kilimci ckilimci at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 05:36:46 PDT 2017

Hi all,

I am using barebox 2017.03.0 and my bootchooser variables are:
  bootchooser.last_chosen: 2
  bootchooser.retry: true
  bootchooser.system1.boot: system1
  bootchooser.system1.default_attempts: 99
  bootchooser.system1.default_priority: 16
  bootchooser.system1.priority: 20
  bootchooser.system1.remaining_attempts: 5
  bootchooser.system2.boot: system2
  bootchooser.system2.default_attempts: 9
  bootchooser.system2.default_priority: 15
  bootchooser.system2.priority: 10
  bootchooser.system2.remaining_attempts: 3
  bootchooser.targets: system1 system2

And "global.bootchooser.reset_attempts" is empty. I assume counters
will never be reset as written in [1].

So, here is the case that I think it has a problem. system1 has a
problem that does not boot. Bootchooser tries system1 and fails a few
times and then chooses system2. After successful boot of system2,
"bootchooser.system1.remaining_attempts" is still 5. Every boot
sequence bootchooser tries system1 and fails and then system2 is
chosen. If I understand correctly from the documentation, it should be
0 and disabled and will never try at all. Right?

Secondly, There is a bug: if bootchooser.system1.remaining_attempts is
big enough like 10, bootchooser tries to boot system1 as usual and
fails as usual again but it could not boot system2. I am sending the
log below, as a summary "could not open /boot/barebox.env: error 24":
booting 'system1'
sorry, no nested mounts
mount: Device or resource busy
could not open /mnt/rootfs1/boot/zImage: No such file or directory
Booting 'system1' failed: No such file or directory
booting 'system1' failed: No such file or directory
could not open /boot/barebox.env: error 24
Nothing bootable found on 'system2'
Nothing bootable found on 'system2'
Nothing bootable found on 'system2'
bootchooser: No valid targets found:
system1
    id: 1
    priority: 20
    default_priority: 16
    remaining attempts: 0
    default attempts: 99
    boot: 'system1'
    disabled due to remaining attempts = 0
system2
    id: 2
    priority: 10
    default_priority: 15
    remaining attempts: 0
    default attempts: 9
    boot: 'system2'
    disabled due to remaining attempts = 0
booting 'bootchooser' failed: No such file or directory

[1] http://barebox.org/doc/latest/user/bootchooser.html?highlight=reset_attempts

Sincerely,
--
Çağlar Kilimci