Problem loading environment from spi-nor flash partition since barebox 2017.01.0

Ian Abbott abbotti at mev.co.uk
Wed Jan 11 03:37:13 PST 2017

On 10/01/17 19:42, Trent Piepho wrote:
> On Tue, 2017-01-10 at 16:01 +0000, Ian Abbott wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I thought I'd try updating my custom SoCFPGA-based board from barebox
>> 2016.11.0 to 2017.01.0, and have only run into one problem, which is
>> that it is no longer loading the barebox environment during boot:
>>
>> barebox-environment environment.5: probe failed: No such device
>> environment load /dev/env0: No such file or directory
>
>> After a bit of poking around, I discovered that it is failing in
>> __of_find_path() at these lines:
>>
>> 	if (!dev->driver)
>> 		return -ENODEV;
>>
>> Those lines were added by commit
>> 82eb3dff10ae0c0436e0fcd5ff0c9cd2a2caab3c ("of_path: handle no driver for
>> device").
>
> I assume the call to __of_find_path() is traced back to
> environment_probe()?

Yes.

> It looks to me like the environment driver needs to be updated to
> support PROBE_DEFER.  It should detect ENODEV from of_find_path() as a
> possible device not probed yet error and return PROBE_DEFER.
>
> I wonder if of_find_path should return EPROBE_DEFER itself?  It seems
> like it might be easier to catch this in of_find_path() once instead of
> in all callers of of_find_path().

Probably.  The only other (indirect) user of __of_find_path() I can find
seems to be the "barebox,state" driver ("drivers/misc/state.c" and
common/state/state.c).  If __of_find_path() could return -EPROBE_DEFER
itself, on first glance it looks like state_probe() in
"drivers/misc/state.c" wouldn't need to bother converting -ENODEV to
-EPROBE_DEFER.

>> I'm not sure which bit of code is responsible for setting dev->driver
>> (or whether it is appropriate in this case), but if I remove that test,
>> the environment loads OK.
>
> This makes me wonder if probe defer, which I think is still problem, is
> not your problem.
>
>> 		environment at 0 {
>> 			compatible = "barebox,environment";
>> 			device-path = &flash, "partname:barebox-environment";
>
>> &qspi {
>> 	flash: flash at 0 {
>> 		partition at c0000 {
>> 			label = "barebox-environment";
>> 			reg = <0xc0000 0x20000>;
>> 		};
>
> In this case, the env points to the flash node for the specific chip
> select, which is a child of the node for the qspi device.  qspi has a
> driver.  But the child for the chip select isn't really a device in its
> own right, it just part of the qspi device.  I don't believe there is a
> driver for it.  I wonder if dev->driver will always be NULL for that
> device?
>
> Maybe the bug here is that a device node for a flash chip select or a
> partition doesn't have a driver itself.  So either the !dev->driver test
> is wrong, or the device should have ->driver point to the driver of its
> parent device.

Yes, the problem seems to be that the cadence-qspi driver doesn't behave
as a proper bus driver (in the barebox/Linux driver model sense).

--
-=( Ian Abbott @ MEV Ltd.    E-mail: <abbotti at mev.co.uk> )=-
-=(                          Web: http://www.mev.co.uk/  )=-