Howto set var from command output

Ian Abbott abbotti at mev.co.uk
Wed Apr 19 03:25:48 PDT 2017

On 19/04/17 11:14, Sascha Hauer wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 06:04:17PM +0800, 张忠山 wrote:
>> Hush does not support command  substitution
>> In barebox is there some to set var from a command output?
>> Or is there a command to do it?
>
> There is no way to set a variable from a command output, mostly because
> this would be really hard to implement. However, some commands support
> setting a variable directly, like for example the basename command.
> Which command output do you want to have in a variable?

I guess it would be a nice little project for someone, maybe Google
Summer of Code if that's still going?  After all, MS-DOS has file
redirection and primitive pipeline support, so I guess it's doable.

--
-=( Ian Abbott @ MEV Ltd.    E-mail: <abbotti at mev.co.uk> )=-
-=(                          Web: http://www.mev.co.uk/  )=-