Fwd: Micrel KSZ9031RN PHY problem

Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia guille.rodriguez at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 02:51:12 PDT 2016

Hello,

> On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 11:55:29AM +0200, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia wrote:

>> > Thanks. We can revert this patch since Philipp only ported it to stay in
>> > sync with the kernel. Anyway, if it makes problems we'll probably need a
>> > solution for the kernel aswell.
>>
>> More info on this after researching the issue.
>>
>> Looks like problem is not directly caused by the modified FLP timings,
>> but is revealed by that change.
>>
>> Immediately after setting the FLP timings, the autonegotiation is
>> restarted by calling genphy_restart_aneg(phydev).
>> Within genphy_restart_aneg, the following line:
>>
>>     oldadv = adv = phy_read(phydev, MII_ADVERTISE);
>>
>> returns 0xffff, and negotiation fails.
>
> The code you are referring to seems to be the first phy access after the
> network device opens. Maybe the hardware is not yet ready for some
> reason. Could you add the same delay in macb_open() right before the
> call to phy_device_connect()?

Tried this, but doesn't help. Here's the call sequence, for example
when you run 'dhcp' from the command line prompt:

macb_open
phy_device_connect
phy_device_attach
phy_init_hw
ksz9031_config_init
ksz9031_center_flp_timing
genphy_restart_aneg
genphy_config_advert -> fails (adv = 0xffff)

I can verify that:
- Any delay happening before the call to genphy_restart_aneg (which
itself is called at the end of ksz9031_center_flp_timing) does not fix
the problem.
- Any delay happening after the phy_read(phydev, MII_ADVERTISE) insde
genphy_config_advert does not fix the problem.
- A delay of 1ms at any point after genphy_restart_aneg and before the
phy_read call in genphy_config_advert fixes the problem

Looks like the phy needs a bit of time after restarting autonegotiation..

Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
guille.rodriguez at gmail.com