Beaglebone black issue loading booting kernel

Mathieu Tétreault mathieu.alexandre.tetreault at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 03:51:06 PDT 2015

I compiled barebox to run on the beaglebone black using the
am335x_mlo_defconfig and am335x_defonfig which gaves me the
barebox-am33xx-beaglebone.img(barebox.bin) and
barebox-am33xx-beaglebone-mlo.img(MLO).

This part works fine since I'm able to get in barebox and the board is
detected as beaglebone black

=== log ===
barebox 2015.10.0-00084-g54bf386 #2 Fri Oct 9 15:18:17 EDT 2015

Board: TI AM335x BeagleBone black
detected 'BeagleBone Black'
=========

If I let the autoboot start it always ends up looking for a NFS server
which I don't have right now.

What I have right now is an SD card with a rootfs generated by Yocto.
This rootfs is able to boot using the u-boot binary that yocto
compiled.

When I use:
===
barebox at TI AM335x BeagleBone black:/ global.bootm.image=/boot/uImage
barebox at TI AM335x BeagleBone black:/ global.bootm.oftree=/boot/boneblack.dtb
barebox at TI AM335x BeagleBone black:/
global.linux.bootargs.dyn.root="root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4
rootwait"
===

I got the following log
===
barebox at TI AM335x BeagleBone black:/ bootm
   Image Name:   Linux-3.14.19-yocto-standard
   OS:           Linux
   Architecture: ARM
   Type:         Kernel Image
   Compression:  uncompressed
   Data Size:    5068000 Bytes = 4.8 MiB
   Load Address: 80008000
   Entry Point:  80008000

commandline:  console=ttyO0,115200n8 ip=dhcp root=/dev/mmcblk0p2
rootfstype=ext4 rootwait
===

The last line I see on the terminal is the commandline:.... and then
it hangs there. I compared the load address and entry point with the
one that u-boot is using and they're the same.

I tried using the barebox internal dtb and providing an external one
that didn't changed anything.

>From my understanding even if the rootpath is wrong the kernel should
start and later on I should receive an kernel panic/oops or something
like that.

Does anyone knows how I could debug that issue?

Regards,

Mathieu