booting kernel from ubi volume in nand flash

Sascha Hauer s.hauer at pengutronix.de
Fri Oct 2 00:02:37 PDT 2015

Hi Geoff,

On Thu, Oct 01, 2015 at 04:25:59PM -0400, Geoff Cleary wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I cannot find documentation regrading scrubbing of ubi volumes in barebox.
> Is this feature implemented in barebox?
>
> In the case where our kernel is stored in a ubi volume, should we expect
> the possibility that barebox may try to "scrub" (move) a block during boot
> of the kernel, if that block required ECC correction?

I think that should not happen, at least not as long as you only do
readonly accesses to UBI. In this case scrubbing work may be added
to the list of pending works, but that list is never processed. This
can change though if you create/delete volumes or if you write to
volumes. In this case produce_free_peb() or ubi_wl_flush() may be called
which both process the list of pending works.
I hope that helps. If in doubt you should familiarize with the code
yourself.