Compiling barebox for newest Yocto/meta-freescale

György Kövesdi kgy at teledigit.eu
Tue Jun 23 04:29:42 PDT 2015

Hi Jan,

> I had to change
> -       oe_runmake
> +       oe_runmake CC="$CC"
> for recent yocto versions. What was your fix?
My fix was more complicated, by exporting ${TOOLCHAIN_OPTIONS} and
${HOST_CC_ARCH}. Thanks for this simpler solution.
>> The option "-mfloat-abi=soft" is used in barebox compilation, which
>> seems not supported by gcc. Adding "-mfloat-abi=hard" is not enough, the
>> original "-mfloat-abi=soft" should be removed. Unfortunately, i could
>> not find where this option is added and how to remove it.
>> Can anybody help me to fix it?
> Which yocto and gcc version are you using? Could you show us the actual
> error messages and yocto recipe?
The current fido and master branches use gcc 4.9.2 and the problem is
that soft float abi support seems missing and the option
-mfloat-abi=soft is always added by the make rules of barebox.
If i use the above mentioned fix, the result is:

arm-poky-linux-gnueabi-gcc: error: -mfloat-abi=soft and -mfloat-abi=hard
may not be used together

because -mfloat-abi=hard is passed in ${CC} variable.

If i remove the option -mfloat-abi=hard, then got this error:

... stubs.h:7:29: fatal error: gnu/stubs-soft.h: No such file or directory

that's why i think the soft abi support is missing.
IMHO the float abi should not be set by the make rules because it is
hardware specific, and therefore should be set by the build system.

Regards
György Kövesdi