[RFC] iodevice support

Andrey Smirnov andrew.smirnov at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 22:24:37 PST 2015

On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 1:05 AM, Sascha Hauer <s.hauer at pengutronix.de> wrote:
> The following is something like a mixture of Linux IIO and hwmon support
> for the poor. I called it iodevice, but better names are appreciated.
> A iodevice has multiple channels, each providing a value like for
> example a temperature or a voltage. For each iodevice we provide device
> parameters to access the values from the commandline. The C API for a
> consumer consists of iochannel_get() to get a iochannel, and
> iochannel_get_value() to actually read a value.
> As drivers we currently have a LM75 temperature driver and a MCP342x ADC
> driver. Also there is a PT100 driver which itself is a consumer of
> another iodevice, a MCP342x in my case. This is more meant as an example
> since the voltage to temperature conversion function is board specific.

One feature that I would like to suggest/request in this API is
ability to give custom names to individual channels via DT. AFAIU, as
of right now, that the names are hard coded and assigned automatically
by the subsystem.

The reason why I am asking is because a fair number of use-cases for
Barebox that I see is as a board verification tool and as such it is
often used by people who may not be as familiar (if at all) with
Barebox, it's code and how "in_value%d_%s" relates to the actual
parameter reading they are trying to verify.

Thanks,
Andrey