envfs: provide an intentional way to ignore an existing external environment

Juergen Borleis jbe at pengutronix.de
Thu Jul 31 01:03:11 PDT 2014

Hi Uwe,

On Thursday 31 July 2014 09:44:16 Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 09:33:02AM +0200, Juergen Borleis wrote:
> > Hi Uwe,
> >
> > On Thursday 31 July 2014 09:14:25 Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
> > > [...]
> > > Compared with storing the default environment in the external store the
> > > only difference is that you don't need to modify it if you change the
> > > internal one, right?
> >
> > This would also be an advantage of this new feature.
>
> The only one even?

No. Confusing error messages are gone and we can force the intended behaviour
as well.

> > > I wonder what the targeted use case is.
> >
> > To use an external stored environment *only* for development purposes or
> > tests and to keep the possibility to do so.
>
> Doesn't make a warm and cosy feeling. Isn't it easier and more robust to
> just not tell barebox about the external storage at all and for the
> testing/development procedure do an explicit
>
> 	loadenv /dev/tralala

Developers are lazy... I'm sure they will not love you for this suggestion ;)

Regards,
Juergen

--
Pengutronix e.K.                              | Juergen Borleis             |
Industrial Linux Solutions                    | http://www.pengutronix.de/  |