envfs: provide an intentional way to ignore an existing external environment

Juergen Borleis jbe at pengutronix.de
Thu Jul 31 00:33:02 PDT 2014

Hi Uwe,

On Thursday 31 July 2014 09:14:25 Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
> [...]
> Compared with storing the default environment in the external store the
> only difference is that you don't need to modify it if you change the
> internal one, right?

This would also be an advantage of this new feature.

> I wonder what the targeted use case is.

To use an external stored environment *only* for development purposes or tests
and to keep the possibility to do so.
The production system should always use a well defined built-in default
environment (but without an error message due to an empty storage which always
looks more like "it works by accident").

> A rescue barebox to repair a borken bootloader and/or environment?

No. If the environment is broken (but valid from the checksum point of view)
this new feature wouldn't help.

Repairing a broken environment/barebox is a different issue.

Regards,
Juergen

--
Pengutronix e.K.                              | Juergen Borleis             |
Industrial Linux Solutions                    | http://www.pengutronix.de/  |