Devicetree Maintenance in barebox

Sascha Hauer s.hauer at pengutronix.de
Fri Feb 7 02:13:32 EST 2014

Hi All,

It's becoming more obvious that devicetree maintenance is painful
because we have to sync them to the kernel regularly. My hope was that
this would get simpler once the devicetrees get their own repository
outside the kernel, but it seems that won't happen anytime soon.

So my current idea to continue with barebox devicetrees is:

- Maintain a kernel branch which has all devicetree changes we need in
  barebox in a clean step-by-step series
- rebase this branch regularly on the newer kernel
- Copy the resulting devicetrees to barebox

The upside is that we have up to date devicetrees in barebox without
having to resync them by hand on a per SoC basis.  Of course this also
means that we lose the devicetree history and breakage may be introduced
with some huge commits saying "Update devicetrees to Linux-3.x".

Any better ideas? I think we have to do something.