Porting to a new board

Allen Kennedy Jr. allen at kennedystuff.com
Wed Sep 18 17:44:29 EDT 2013

Hello,
  I have read the documentation but I believe it to be out of date, as it
does not match up with the source from the git tree.

  To that end, I am trying to add a new board, and I can not figure out how
to do so.  My board uses the mx27 processor, and so I am attempting to
closely mimic one of the other mx27 boards, when following the steps here:
http://barebox.org/documentation/barebox-2011.05.0/dev_board.html

I find the following inconsistencies:
1. include/configs/<boardname>.h  -
the configs directory does not exist.
2. modify arch/<architecture>/Kconfig

   - add your board (MACH_*) to the list
   - add your default text base address for this architecture
   (ARCH_TEXT_BASE)
   - add BOARDINFO with valueable info for your board

None of this exists.

3. modify arch/<architecture>/Makefile:

   - add board-$(MACH_*) = <your board_dir>

This does not exist

And my board will not show up in the menu config.

Also I am finding it difficult to locate where I set things like flash
size, ram size, etc...  u-boot has a much simpler (if not less documented)
layout when it came to boards.  Alas I can not use u-boot, because of the
nand flash limitations, and thus why I am attempting to use barebox.

And finally there seems to be some confusiton both in the code and the
documentation about the difference between a board and a machine.  What is
the difference?

I'm sorry that there is a lot here, but I can not find the proper
documentation to answer these questions.

Also, for those that are curious, or can help me get around this issue.  I
attempting to get this going on a board with an mx27 booted from NAND
flash, so I believe I have to use the PBL option to setup and copy out of
nand to do the real booting.  If there is any advice on this, I would
appreciate it.  I have no other bootloader, only bare metal and a JTAG
device.

thank you.