/dev/disk0 vs /dev/mmc0

Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD plagnioj at jcrosoft.com
Thu Oct 3 15:23:49 EDT 2013

On 17:17 Thu 03 Oct     , David Jander wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am following barebox git closely and noticed a change recently: Device names
> for MMC (MCI) and USB mass-storage devices have changed to the
> generic "/dev/diskX". Earlier an MMC device was named "/dev/mmc0".
> Unfortunately this change breaks my /env/bin/init script and I don't know how
> to fix it. I relied on the existence of certain devices to distinguish between
> USB mass-storage device presence and/or SD-card presence. How can I do this
> with this new device naming convention?
>
> I used to have these kind of checks in /env/bin/init:
>
> # Mount MMC (first partition) if available
> if [ -e "/dev/mmc0.0" ]; then
>         mkdir /mmc
>         mount /dev/mmc0.0 /mmc
>         if [ -e "/mmc/uImage" ]; then
>                 boot_target="mmc"
>         fi
> fi
>
> Booting like this is only allowed from MMC and not from USB, and now it seems
> impossible to distinguish between them anymore.
>
> Btw, why was this changed in the first place?

now you an use devname parameter to specify a specifc name for mmc

not all the drivers have the platform_data update to support but it will be
easy enough to add it

I recently add this to atmel_mci and animeo_ip board

and I recomment you to switch to defaultenv-2 for this

and use boot sequence this will simplify your env hugely

Best Regards,
J.