What is TEXT_BASE?

Sascha Hauer s.hauer at pengutronix.de
Wed Aug 29 09:27:02 EDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 03:13:53PM +0200, Norbert Roos wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 08/29/2012 08:29 AM, Sascha Hauer wrote:
>
> >TEXT_BASE is the address barebox will be linked at. Normally this is
> >somewhere near the end of SDRAM, but could be also in some internal SRAM
> >in special cases. If you use the pcm049_defconfig it should be
> >configured correctly already.
>
> Ok, thanks, i didn't know there are those configs.
>
> Now it's building and produces some files. Is there somewhere an
> explanation what the files are and what i should do with them in the
> next step? In my case with an OMAP based board? I would have
> expected at least the "MLO" file, but there are just the barebox
> files..

For OMAP boards there are two defconfigs, one for the MLO (or xloader)
and one regular barebox binary. See
http://wiki.barebox.org/doku.php?id=boards:omap

(I just saw it's a bit outdated, because the file generated for the
xloader is nowadays MLO, not barebox.bin.ift.

So you have to:

make pcm049_xload_defconfig
make
cp MLO /mnt/MLO
make pcm049_defconfig
cp barebox.bin /mnt/barebox.bin

> I don't intend to get personal teaching lessons here, but the whole
> documentation is somehow - suboptimal. I am writing down the steps
> i'm doing, so in return i could add a howto or tutorial or something
> like that.

That would be great. I could give you an account for the wiki if you
have something to improve there.

Thanks