issue with imx35 external boot from Micron 4k flash

Gabriel Tisan gabriel.tisan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 05:11:49 EDT 2012

Hi !

I try to boot a custom board(based on imx35)  from a Micron NAND
flash(4K pagesize, 224 bytes OOB, 256K writesize).
Using a JTAG debugger, I found that the internal Freescale firmware
copied the first 4K from flash
without errors to NFC internal buffer, but then it does not jump to
this buffer how is specified in specs.
So the barebox code is never called.
If I jump manually via JTAG debugger, barebox boot up without any
problems. I use external boot and write/dump to/from flash works well.
Of course for imx35 I used just the supported 218 bytes of OOB.

Freescale support told me that there is a boot problem with imx35 when
is used with flashes that need more time after RESET command.
On the same board I used before also a Micron flash(2K pagesize, 64
bytes OOB, 128K writesize) that has the same hardware timing for
RESET.
However I suppose that the flash is out of RESET, because otherwise
could not copy without any ECC error the first 4K data.

Has anybody experienced some kind of problems ? Do you see a workaround ?

Regards,
Gabriel