Fat32 support

Sascha Hauer s.hauer at pengutronix.de
Mon Jun 21 02:32:47 EDT 2010

Hello José,

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 06:34:31AM +0200, Jose Luis Zabalza wrote:
> Hello All.
>
> A simple question. Is it posible read a file on fat32 USB memory
> device from barebox?

No, currently not.

> If not, is it posible write some code to do this? What steps will be necessary?
> - port from linux kernel usb-storage support.?
> - port form linux kernel fat 32 support?

This is surely possible, though you might be better off with the U-Boot
code as a template for porting. You'll probably also need dos
partitioning support.

> My final objetive is firmwarize the board from a USB fat32 USB memory
> device with a new barebox "firmwarize" command because I am surprised
> that there is not on barebox?

I think you don't need an extra command to do this once all necessary
code is in place. It's more a matter of a script like 'usb; mount -tfat
/dev/xxx /mnt; cp /mnt/xy /dev/nor0.kernel;'
We don't have this at the moment because nobody needed it yet. We mostly
use networking or dfu (device firmware update) for updating purposes.
That said patches are very welcome ;)