Flash drivers, was: IXP4xx support

Sascha Hauer s.hauer at pengutronix.de
Mon Feb 8 05:06:11 EST 2010

On Sun, Feb 07, 2010 at 07:44:05PM +0100, Krzysztof Halasa wrote:
> I also wonder, why are there two NOR flash drivers, old and new?

I started working on the U-Boot flash driver and started making
the different Flash chips (AMD, Intel) and bus widths optional in order
to get the driver smaller. I didn't really get ready with it and
checked it in as a second driver. Sorry for the confusion, I should
have made a seperate branch from it.

> Another thing, the drivers seem to support various configurations like
> 4*16 bit (4 physical flash chips in parallel). Does any currently
> supported platform use anything like that? Or maybe all platforms use
> 1*8 or 16-bit config and the extra code is unneeded complexity?

I have seen all bus widths from 8bit to 64bit on my boards. Not all
of them are supported in barebox, but it's not a good idea to remove
support for it.