Restricting BCM4354 to 802.11b only

Dennis Millard dennis at tealdrones.com
Fri Oct 6 14:47:00 PDT 2017

I'm developing on an nVidia TX1 SOM which has an integrated BCM4354
chipset.  The SOM is running Ubuntu 16.04 Linux (64-bit ARM)

I have an application where I need long range with low bandwidth
requirements.  It seems that 802.11b has the best receive sensitivity,
and I need to reduce latency caused by modulation switching (i.e. 802.11
b, g, n etc).  I'm looking for a way to configure the BCM43 chipset to
lock in to 802.11b mode only, so I want to disable 802.11g and 802.11n
modes.

I'm capable of making kernel driver modifications if necessary, but I
don't have the required information to do this.  I've seen references on
google to the Broadcom WLAN client utility, or "wl", but it's not freely
available anywhere.

Does anyone have any advice on where to turn for information on how to
do this?  Thanks.

    -Dennis