Using b43 with broadcom 4312 on hp2133 yields "device not ready"

Larry Finger Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net
Sat Apr 15 09:28:46 PDT 2017

On 04/14/2017 03:13 PM, registration at out-of-bounds.de wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> when using google on the "channel switch error", I came across the commands
> "iwlist" and "iw" so find their output enclosed in the hopes it helps.
>
> Trying "iw phy0 set channel x" did not work, though: device busy
>
> I also found a reference to a kernel patch regarding the issue/error message:
> https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/4276461/

That patch was applied to kernel code on May 31, 2014.

> hope that helps you help me ;-)

I'm not sure how much help I can give you. I have now built a modern kernel for
my netbook. On it the BCM4312 works fine. That system had older firmware on it
so I downloaded the newest file and installed it. The device still works, thus I
think we can rule out some unexpected changes in either the driver or the
firmware. I was using kernel 4.11.0-rc5.

My conclusion is that your hardware is defective. Unfortunately, although a
replacement part can be obtained on E-Bay for less that $4, replacing the WLAN
module on that particular laptop requires complete disassembly. I would not
recommend that unless you have considerable experience.

My suggestion is that you purchase a USB adapter for this laptop. If you are
willing to purchase from E-Bay, the small, dual-band 802.11ac devices are under
$20 US. I'm not sure what they will cost in Germany.

Larry