B43_PHY_AC config investigation and new b43 firmware via ASUS

benjamin deuker deukerb at gmail.com
Tue May 24 08:45:22 PDT 2016

Hi,

Thanks for all your work on the b43 drivers and tools.

I have an ASUS PCE-AC68. This adapter works properly with the wl
broadcom driver in STA mode,
but i would use hotspot feature (AP mode).

In the Kconfig file of b43, we can read:
        bool "Support for AC-PHY (802.11ac) devices (BROKEN)"
        depends on B43 && B43_BCMA && BROKEN
        ---help---
          This PHY type can be found in the following chipsets:
          PCI: BCM4352, BCM4360

          Say N, this is BROKEN and crashes driver.

I would like investigate on this driver crash.

Where can I find some informations on B43_PHY_AC integration tests ?

For starters, I have checked the latest firmware.
It seems there is a new b43 firmware (802.204)  in:
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC66U/GPL_RT_AC66U_30043803264.zip

You can extract this b43 firmware with an adaptation of mbuesch b43-tools:
https://github.com/deukerb/b43-tools

Be careful: this firmware has not been tested

Thanks,

Benjamin