bcm43142 support for b43

Larry Finger Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net
Wed Feb 25 10:54:28 PST 2015

On 02/24/2015 01:07 PM, el mas capo wrote:

> Hi, I would like tell you to add support for bcm43142 wifi card, in b43.
> Actually it has offcial drivers (wl) wich are maybe worse drivers i have never tried (Wifi drops, Weak Signal.)
> If you look for this card on internet you will see lots of people with the same problem as me.
> Thank you for attending my suggerences.

In English, there is a huge difference between "request" and "demand". Your
usage of "tell" in the first sentence seems like you are demanding that we write
a driver for the BCM43142. I will assume that there is a translation problem.

Driver wl is not official Linux code. The binary blob that it contains hides all
the details of driving your device. The only way that we could provide an
open-source driver would be to reverse engineer that Broadcom code. Problems
such as network drops and weak signal would be duplicated. In addition, any
errors in the reverse engineering would likely make the stability and
performance be worse.

Broadcom does have a small group of programmers that write open-source drivers
for their newer devices. Perhaps they will produce the driver you need some day.

Larry