b43 slow performance of high packet loss, linux-3.13 running on macbook10,1, is there anyway to reduce packet loss / improve performance ?

crquan crquan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 01:36:45 EDT 2014

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 12:46 AM, Rafał Miłecki <zajec5 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> In that table, it has my device 14e4:4331 supported b/g only, I tried
>> to setup my wifi router to be b/g only but seems didn't help, is there
>> anything else (or iw commands) I can try ?
>>
>> 14e4:4331   yes (3.2-rc3+)   BCM4331     b/g    HT (r1)           wl
>
> Unfortunately, no. b43 has only basic support for BCM4331. I've
> managed to connect BCM4331 (with it's ugly modified mini PCIe
> connector) to my PC, but I still didn't manage to find antenna
> connectors (W.FL2).

While, do you know anyway we can improve this?
I have some experience at kernel drivers level, but not with wireless devices,
could you tell if I can help on improving this?

I tested the same macbook bcm4331 in different WLANs, felt in company
wifi network
(that's provided with cisco enterprise wlan controllers I think) the
wifi connection is not bad,

at home with wifi modem provided by at&t, each wifi session cannot work stably
over 5 minutes, since some point the long time ping doesn't get
response anymore,
even worse is NetworkManager doesn't detect the failure doesn't auto reconnect,
I have to choose from menu to connect same hotspot again to continue wifi,

at some coffee bars each wifi session neither work stably over a
couple of minutes,

Do you think is it possible bcm4331 has compatibility issue with some
wifi routers?
I'm going to buy a different wifi router to try, do you have any idea
which wifi router or brand better to try?

Thanks,