Need to match driver to microcode?

Chris Adams cma at cmadams.net
Thu Feb 6 15:19:14 EST 2014

Once upon a time, grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com> said:
> On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 11:54 AM, Larry Finger <Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net> wrote:
> > Because Broadcom uses Linux for the OS in their routers
>
> Didn't know they made consumer routers or published any
> GPL packages, I think you meant people like Linksys do, not
> Broadcom. I'll search broadcom site more for this though.

I don't think Broadcom sells anything complete devices directly, but
Linksys, Netgear, D-Link, etc. use Broadcom chips inside.  Broadcom has
reference designs, with Linux code ready for customization, and the
retail vendors brand it, tweak some features if they want, box it up,
and sell it.

Broadcom makes lots of chips used in a wide variety of consumer
electronics devices, including network gear (such as routers, APs,
switches), DVRs, Blu-Ray players, and TVs.

--
Chris Adams <cma at cmadams.net>