Need to match driver to microcode?

Larry Finger Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net
Wed Feb 5 20:50:45 EST 2014

On 02/05/2014 06:54 PM, grarpamp wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 6:57 PM, Larry Finger <Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net> wrote:
>> Throughout the life of the b43 driver, there have been changes in the
>> microcode that required changes in the driver; however all of them predate
>> version 478.104.
>
> So from 478.104 through 666.2 b43 driver stayed
> the same in relation to simply cutting, dropping
> in and working with any of the 7 new microcodes
> post 478.104?

If you had one of the newer cores, then you needed newer firmware to get the
correct file, but the older ones worked. However, I should never trust my
memory. The TX and RX headers changed with firmware version 598.314. The change
in the driver was introduced with commit 17030f4 in such a way that the older
firmware versions still worked.

> Can you link to a pre 478.104 example from the repo?
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/log/drivers/net/wireless/b43

The two commits are at the bottom of the page
https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/log/drivers/net/wireless/b43?ofs=200.

>> With that said, I have not tested anything newer than
>> 666.x. Where did you get version 784.2?
>
> You added it to fwcutter here... :)
>
> http://bues.ch/gitweb?p=b43-tools.git;a=commit;h=f9ea2d59b33b552994a9c7ad3ca8fa1ef9992b95

Ah, I know it by a different number.