BCM43228

Ruben De Smet ruben.de.smet at telenet.be
Fri Nov 1 14:09:23 EDT 2013

On 11/01/2013 06:07 PM, Larry Finger wrote:
> On 11/01/2013 11:00 AM, Ruben De Smet wrote:
>> AFAIK, broadcom only offers it's drivers for intel x86 and
>> x64_86; I guess by MIPS, you mean the architecture? (why wouldn't
>> the intel driver work? Pretty unknown on the subject ;) )
>>
>> I read the WIP mail about the 227 chip, I could possibly wait for
>> that one to be released and test it out on mine?
>>
>> For the record: the issue I'm having is as follows: when
>> connecting via the bluetooth part of the chip to my phone and
>> using DUN to connect to the internet, everything works fine until
>> I shut down the connection. Then my kernel panics. (Another issue
>> of course is the fact that wl is the only closed source thing in
>> my kernel running atm on my notebook...)
>>
>> On brcmsmac: is linux-wireless the right mailinglist to post to
>> then? I see that the range of supported devices is more close to
>> my chip than b43 is ;) I added brcm80211-dev-list at broadcom.com to
>> this mail too, which looks like the more appropriate mailinglist
>> to post the issue to.

>> PS. snippet of the output of 'lspci -nn':
>>
>> 03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM43228
>> 802.11a/b/g/n [14e4:4359]
>>
>> Other information on request, will try to answer asap.
>
> The MIPS drivers are part of the codes used in various SoC
> implementations used in wireless routers. Disassembling an x86
> code stream is much harder than for a machine like MIPS where all
> instructions are the same size.
>
> Larry

AFAIK this chip won't be incorporated in routers nor access points.
As Arend van Spriel stated in a followup mail, I'll keep
brcm80211-dev-list at broadcom.com in the To field.

Any chance that the brcm80211 team knows something on this topic? For
what I feel here, they are the people who will be closest to the issue.

Thank you for your time.