BCM4331 deauthenticates every five minutes

Arend van Spriel arend at broadcom.com
Thu Jun 20 04:33:24 EDT 2013

On 06/19/2013 11:11 PM, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Arend van Spriel <arend at broadcom.com> said:
>> Can you make a capture using a wireless sniffer (using your thinkpad maybe)?
>
> How would I go about doing that?  I've done lots of network debugging
> with tcpdump and such, but not much wireless stuff.

I use wireshark these days. If you install that you can use the steps
below and select the wireless interface in wireshark to capture. I use
wlan0 as interface name, but it may be different for you.

1. disable network-manager so it won't interfere.
2. bring the interface down
$ sudo ifconfig wlan0 down
3. change interface type to monitor
$ sudo iw dev wlan0 set type monitor
4. bring up the interface
$ sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
5. start wireshark and select wlan0
$ gksudo wireshark

It will complain that running wireshark as root is not secure. If you
care about that, you should read [1].

Regards,
Arend

[1]