BCM4306

Larry Finger Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net
Sat Jan 26 22:46:30 EST 2013

On 01/26/2013 09:34 PM, stosss wrote:
> Following the instructions from http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43
>
> lspci -vnn -d 14e4:
>
> 0b:03.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306
> 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller [14e4:4320] (rev 03)
>               Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Broadcom  802.11b/g
> WLAN [103c:12f8]
>               Flags: fast devsel, IRQ 5
>               Memory at c8206000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled] [size=8k]
>               Kernel modules: ssb
>

> PCI-ID          Supported       Chip ID         Modes    PHY version
> 14e4:4320       yes            BCM4306/3         ?            G (r2)
>
> Device firmware installation
>
> The Broadcom wireless chip needs proprietary software (called
> "firmware") that runs on the wireless chip itself to work properly.
> This firmware is copyrighted by Broadcom and must be extracted from
> Broadcom's proprietary drivers. To get such firmware on your system,
> you must download the driver from a legal distribution point, extract
> it, and install it. This is accomplished different ways by different
> Linux distributions, so please read the section for yours for the best
> results. You will need an alternate working internet connection (by
> Ethernet cable, for example) since the firmware cannot be included
> with the distro itself.
>
> Post details for missing distributions at b43-dev at lists.infradead.org.
> Note: the firmware from the binary drivers is copyrighted by Broadcom
> Corporation and cannot be redistributed.
>
> I have been to the broadcom site. I have found and downloaded files
> from the broadcom site and a couple other sites that are for the
> bcm4306.
>
> I am running PCLinuxOS which is a combination of Mandriva, Ubuntu,
> Debian and a few other distributions.
>
> I have installed from the distribution repo
> b43-firmware
> b43-fwcutter
> b43legacy-firmware
> bcm43xx-firmware
> bcm43-fwcutter
> dkms-broadcom-wl
>
> According to the info above this chip should work. Something is
> missing but I don't know what it is.
>
> There are three windows drivers that show up with ndiswrapper -l that
> should work as well but they don't either.
>
> I don't know what else to check or do. Do I need to black list the
> Kernel module ssb ? I have tried to get a Linux or windows driver to
> work and I have tried several things even uninstalling all drivers and
> then installing the ones listed above.
>
> It would be awesome if someone could tell me what I haven't done that
> I need to do and point me to a workable solution.

Did you run b43-fwcutter to extract the firmware?

Do you have files in directory /lib/firmware/b43/?

I use the openSUSE distro, which includes a script
/usr/sbin/install_bcm43xx_firmware that downloads the necessary Broadcom driver
file, extracts the firmware using fwcutter, and writes the files to the firmware
directory. I have no idea how PCLinuxOS does it.