b43 driver NULL pointer dereference on 3.4.15

Larry Finger Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net
Tue Oct 23 15:47:41 EDT 2012

On 10/23/2012 02:10 PM, Markus Kanet wrote:
> Am 23.10.2012 16:53, schrieb Larry Finger:
>> When I did the b43legacy patch, it seemed reasonable that b43 also
>> needed a similar fix, but I could not get b43 to fail on two different
>> systems. Does the patch below work for you?
>
> Thanks for the patch, but it does not apply correct to the 3.4.15 kernel
> sources. Maybe because of the code after the two extra lines looks different
> from your patch and from the 3.4.15 sources.
>
> I tried to add the two lines manually to the kernel sources and did a rebuild of
> the 3.4.15 kernel and it seem to work. At least i don't get any errors on
> shutdown or when using rmmod.
>
> Attached is my patch with a bit more of context... please check twice if it is
> correct.

I don't run kernel 3.4.15. My patch was for wireless-testing, which is the one
that would be needed for submission. In addition, the hunk I supplied was for
b43_bcma_remove() and one is also needed for b43_ssb_remove(). I will annotate
the patch for porting to stable. When that happens, I will need to modify the
patch for 3.4.X.

Thanks for testing.

Is it OK if I add a "Tested-by: Markus Kanet <dvmailing at gmx.eu> to the submitted
patch?