b43: system hangs during kernel initialisation [14e4:4318]

Larry Finger Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net
Wed Mar 28 12:02:04 EDT 2012

On 03/28/2012 01:23 AM, Ben Prescott wrote:
> On 27/03/12 22:29, Larry Finger wrote:
>> What form factor is your BCM4318? I downloaded the 32-bit 12.04 iso and was
>> able to boot it on my sandbox, which has both a BCM4306 (b43) and a BCM4301
>> (b43legacy) in PCI form. No problems other than the kernel log showing no
>> firmware available and I had no network. Clearly, not a hang during booting.
>>
> The machine is a laptop; the wifi is a mini-PCI.

That should be close enough to my system, thus I cannot duplicate your problem.
I have no idea what the difficulty might be. There should not be a major
difference between my BCM4306 and your BCM4318 at this level.

I do not see any way to get the firmware onto the live system during booting.

If you copy any existing firmware files in /lib/firmware/b43/ on your working
system, either from a USB stick, or from mounting a hard drive partition, could
you then load b43? If not, perhaps we can get some better diagnostics from a
running kernel.

Larry