BCM5354 SoC with LP Phy Wifi

Hauke Mehrtens hauke at hauke-m.de
Mon Jan 30 14:37:57 EST 2012

Hi William,

On 01/30/2012 04:39 PM, William R Agosto Padilla wrote:
> Mr. Hauke,
>
> I am new to the reverse engineering process. However I am working on a
> project that
> requires me to use printk statements in the b43 device driver code, so I
> can see how it is
> really working during initialization, resetting, and suspension of the
> networking process.
>
> The first problem that I encountered was finding the b43 source code for
> download.
> I was only able to find the assembly code for the b43 firmware. Do you
> know of a specific download
> location where I can get the entire b43's ''C'' source code?
Just go to https://www.kernel.org/ and download the Linux kernel it has
b43 included in it in drivers/net/wireless/b43 or use
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download/stable/

>  Reading
> your email I realized that you
> have already done what I will be attempting to do. Mainly, using printk
> statements inside the b43 code.
> I have been at this for a couple of months without any luck. Would you
> mind if I ask a few questions
> about the way you went about on doing so? Or advice on how to do it?
>
> Did you added the printk statements into the b43 source code or the b43
> firmware code?
I do not have access to the source code of the broadcom firmware, but
there is an open source project developing an open Source firmware
http://www.ing.unibs.it/~openfwwf/
>I would like to try
> something similar. As I mentioned earlier, I was not able to see the
> b43's 'C' source code with my
> Linux Ubuntu 11.10 distribution. I found a copy of the firmware source
> code with the
> assembly language, etc. Is that the code that you used for the printk
> statements?
I am just working on the driver and treating the firmware as a black box.
> I thought that since the b43 driver is included in the kernel that
> Ubuntu 11.10 has, it
> would also include the source code--no luck with that.
>
> Any insight that you can share would be very much appreciated.
>
> Cheers
>
> William

Hauke