BCM43231

Larry Finger Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net
Mon Jan 9 17:18:34 EST 2012

On 01/09/2012 02:12 PM, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
> 2011/12/30 Abimanyu Gottumukkala<me at abimanyu.in>:
>> Does any one have status or any info on BCM43231 USB drivers?
>
> I've received my WNA3100, 0846:9020 (maybe BCM43231, can't confirm).
>
> It works with ndiswrapper and bcmwlhigh6, I can scan and even connect
> to my WPA2 network.
>
> Unfortunately I've no idea what hardware is this. I've dumped
> ndiswrapper USB operations but they don't tell me a single thing.
> Initialization is represented by only ~1000 lines in dumps and I've
> connected in next ~1500 lines of USB dump. I've been using "usbmon" to
> dump traffic.

The evidence points to some kind of Broadcom chip. The USB data base says that
an ID of "0846:9020" is a "WNA3100(v1) Wireless-N 300 [Broadcom BCM43231]". In
addition, the Windows driver name of bcmwlhigh6 indicates a BroadCoM WL driver
of some sort. Given the relatively small amount of initialization traffic, it
must be a fullmac device that likely does not need external firmware.

I remember seeing some mail about the Broadcom guys working on a Linux driver
for a USB fullmac device. Is this the one? (I added Arend to the Cc.)

Larry