[RFC] b43: fix memory leak on bcm5354

Hauke Mehrtens hauke at hauke-m.de
Tue Feb 21 14:11:51 EST 2012

On 02/21/2012 01:57 AM, Larry Finger wrote:
> On 02/20/2012 05:38 PM, Hauke Mehrtens wrote:
>> When using the bcm5354 with a recent firmware>= 478.104 it runs into a
>> memory very shortly after doing an active scan or any thing else where
>
> You are missing a word after memory.
It leaked to somewhere else. ;-)

>> packages are send. This was cased by a gpio misconfiguration, the
>> firmware triggered the GPIO pins used for buttons on some devices and
>> that caused an other driver (OpenWrt diag) listening for these buttons
>> to send many user space messages.
>> This patch fixes the bug for my devices (Asus WL-520GU) and makes it
>> work with firmware 666.2, but I do not know if this patch is correct.
>> The spec for this part is out of date:
>> http://bcm-specs.sipsolutions.net/GPIO
>
> I just updated the specs based on additional info I found. Everything I
> see say that there are 4 bits for the LEDs. Do you have a source for
> what you posted below?
Thanks for updating the spec, but this is nothing special for the
bcm5354. My device just has one WLAN LED, like many SoCs.

>> GPIO pin layout:
>> pin#    name    type
>> 0    power    led
>> 1    wlan    led
>> 2    reset    button
>> 3    ses    buttom

This is from the Asus WL-520GU section of the the OpenWrt diag driver
[0] and I verified it myself on this device.

>> related nvram configuration:
>> wl0gpio2=11
>> wl0gpio3=11
>> wl0gpio0=11
>> wl0gpio1=0x02
>> reset_gpio=2

This was extracted from the nvram of the Asus W-520GU with "nvram show
|grep gpio". This was a used device, so I do not know if someone else
already did some modifications to the nvram.

Hauke

[0]: https://dev.openwrt.org/browser/trunk/package/broadcom-diag/src/diag.c