[RFC/RFT] b43: Load initial firmware file asynchronously

Felix Janda felix.janda at posteo.de
Sat Dec 8 09:30:32 EST 2012

On 12/05/12 at 09:47pm, Larry Finger wrote:
> Felix,
>
> Please test this with b43 built into the kernel.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Larry

Thanks, for coming back to this.

It now gives me a kernel panic after 30 seconds.

I did some debugging using ssleep and printk. b43_fw_cb seems
to be called several times and on the last time the "firmware"
argument seems to be zero. The execution then returns to
b43_do_request_fw, which tries to deference a zero pointer in
the line

> +	if (ctx->blob->size < sizeof(struct b43_fw_header))

It is another machine then last time, has B4306 (rev 3) and a
kernel without modules. The firmware is in /lib/firmware/b43,
which is on the root partition. There is no udev installed.

Felix