Broadcom 4303 HP Pavilion zv5000

Larry Finger Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net
Mon Oct 17 10:46:46 EDT 2011

On 10/17/2011 03:30 AM, Jesús Vidal Panalés wrote:
> Hello, i have an older computer from my father (HP Pavilion zv5168ea) and i
> decided to install a Xubuntu distro (tried 11.10, now 11.04) for my personal
> use, but i can't get a wireless connection to my router (i'm using WPA-personal
> encryption but tried with open and nothing). The driver is installed, i can see
> wifi essid on NetworkManager but the connection is never carried out. I've
> installed firmware-b43legacy-installer because it has the driver for this card
> but nothing...

Not driver - the driver is part of the kernel. That package installs the firmware.

> This is the output of lspci -vnn (only wireless card part)
>
> 02:02.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4303 802.11b Wireless
> LAN Controller [14e4:4301] (rev 02)
> Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device [103c:12f3]
> Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11
> Memory at e0104000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
> Kernel driver in use: b43-pci-bridge
> Kernel modules: ssb

I have snipped the rest of your posting - it looked normal.

Check the settings on your AP to make sure it is not set for "G - only". The
BCM4303 is an 802.11b device (note above), thus you need the "802.11 B/G"
setting, whatever it is called for your AP.

My BCM4303 works fine with WEP, WPA and WPA2 encryption.

Larry