b43 error under heavy load

Rafał Miłecki zajec5 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 08:25:23 EDT 2011

2011/6/1 Chris Vine <chris at cvine.freeserve.co.uk>:
> On Wed, 1 Jun 2011 12:56:22 +0200
> Rafał Miłecki <zajec5 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2011/6/1 Chris Vine <chris at cvine.freeserve.co.uk>:
>> >
>> > I don't have a /sys/kernel/debug directory with a running 3.0.0-rc1
>> > kernel, so it appears that b43 debugging (which I do have enabled)
>> > doesn't use it.
>>
>> mount -t debugfs none /sys/kernel/debug/
>
> Ah, so I need to compile in debugfs.  That isn't/wasn't necessary for
> the DMA error debugging.  I am surprised that debugfs enables you to
> alter kernel debugging levels on the fly (I thought it was a
> passive logging mechanism for kernel state), but you live and learn.

Removing following if () condition:
 if (b43_debug(dev, B43_DBG_DMAVERBOSE)) {
will work fine as well ;)
You can just leave:
b43dbg(dev->wl, "Stopped TX ring %d\n", ring->index);
without condition around it (and make sure to enable B43 debugging).

> I will compile in debugfs, but I don't expect to have any rapid results
> for you. With 3 and a half hours of streaming yesterday it happened
> once.  I won't be able to do much testing by way of transferring files
> over the LAN for a while either (I imagine that would provide greater
> stress testing).

I think you should easily get this error by transmitting. Streaming
some video is mostly receiving. Just putting some random
(ftp/sftp/iperf) server in the network would make the trick.

--
Rafał