Mini PCIeWiFi card not detected in non-mini adapter

Rafał Miłecki zajec5 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 07:28:52 EST 2011

W dniu 29 stycznia 2011 18:33 użytkownik Pat Erley <pat-lkml at erley.org> napisał:
> On 01/29/11 04:37, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
>>
>> W dniu 28 stycznia 2011 17:16 użytkownik Stanislaw Gruszka
>> <sgruszka at redhat.com>  napisał:

>>> I'm using adapters form http://www.hwtools.net/ , they work pretty well
>>> for me,
>>> but they are also quite expensive.
>>
>> Yeah, they have adapters few times more expensive than my one :(
>>

>> Yesterday my friend was nice (and brave :P) enough to let me open his
>> notebook and test my card in it. Card was detected just fine in his
>> Windows 7.
>>
>> Today I managed to test my adapter (with my Broadcom card inside) in
>> some other PC with PCI Express x1. It was detected again! Motherboard
>> in this PC is: Asus/Pegatron IPMTB-TK.
>>

>> So:
>> 1) My Broadcom card is fine
>> 2) My adapted is fine
>>
>> There must be problem with my motherboard/BIOS/PCI Express x1 slot.
>>
>> I'm much happier now when I know I don't need to return that adapters
>> (I bought 2) :)
>>
> My experience with pci-e bridge cards like this and not being detected:
>
> If your mobo supports SLI, but you're not using SLI, disable detecting
> sli, this caused mine to not be detected.  In my bios, the setting set
> the slots into x16,x1,x1,x1 instead of x8,x1,disabled,x8.
>
> If you have a pci-e serial card using an old TI chipset, they seem to
> block enumeration and detecting in the following slots.
>
> I'm using an AR9280 in a riser that shipped with some other card I never
> tested.
>
> What I would test is re-arranging the pci-e cards (if you have more than
> one), and look into sli detection if you're not using it.
>
> Good Luck!

Thanks for your help! My motherboard has integrated VIA GPU and
possibility to add external GPU. I can set in BIOS "Primary Display
Adapter" to "PCI" or "PCI-E".

However, that was not the source of my problems. After digging more in
BIOS settings I've finally noticed:
Advanced → Onboard Device COnfiguration → Ex/SATA-PCI-E*1 Option
with two values to choose:
1) Ex-SATA
2) PCI-E*1

So... My PCI Express x1 slot was working in some Ex-SATA mode! After
switching that, my WiFi card is detected fine finally! :)

Thanks everybody for help and sorry for bothering you with problems
that came from my incorrect BIOS configuration... Ups :)

--
Rafał