unable to write flashrom, functionality broken?

Michael Büsch mb at bu3sch.de
Fri Feb 4 17:26:08 EST 2011

On Fri, 2011-02-04 at 16:38 -0500, Dale Walsh wrote:
> Be smart, let it go.

> Are you really that slow

I'll leave it as an exercise to you to find all the
personal insults in this quote.

> If I put my car key in the ignition of my car, turn it and nothing
> happens I call the dealer because it's obviously broken.
> You most likely would interpret that statement to be only what is
> stated and have some smart-assed comment that implies I'm not smart
> enough to determine if there is an electrical issue such as a dead
> battery preventing the car from starting or I didn't turn the key far
> enough and I conclude this based on the way in which you respond not
> only to me but others.

You probably forgot to put gas into the car.

> --- START OF QUOTE ---
> On Feb 03, 2011, at 19:29 PM, Michael Büsch wrote:
> > That guy will brick his device anyway, as
> > he _will_ write incorrect data to the SPROM.
> --- END OF QUOTE ---

I fail to find the words "idiot" and "moron" in this quote.
q.e.d.

> I specifically state it is my personal decision regarding the state of
> the source tree, are you now accepting responsibility for the entire
> ubuntu source tree?

Why would I?
I am not an Ubuntu developer. Why would I have any responsibility for
a single line of code in their distribution?

Do you notice the flawed logics?

> If you want to be responsible for a public project that offers public
> support that's great but expect that issue will come up and people
> will expect support and this has nothing to do with the purpose for
> which they use the software, my opinion is this,  it's a public
> project which offers support and you seem to be the leader so, if it's
> broke, fix it, if it isn't broke attempt to help the user in a kind
> and courteous manner and if you can't be kind and courteous don't
> involve yourself in assisting them, they are already frustrated enough
> by the fact that the software doesn't work the way they expect it to
> that they don't need to be further aggravated by a person offering
> support.

So the situation is:
I put my free time into a project that probably helps people. And
you're essentially complaining that I don't put enough of my valuable
free time into the project? Who are you to judge where I'm supposed
to spend my free time? We are not your personal support army.
You got our code for free. For free as in beer and as in freedom.
Without any implied warranties. Deal with it.

You know what? If I knew you in real life and you bitched about
a birthday present I gave you, it would be the very last present you
got from me.
> You really don't appear to have enough common sense to let things go
> and believe you have made no attacks on anyone at any time which is
> sad at best but you are who you are.

Uh, talking about common sense.
I'm deeply sorry that I personally attacked you with my C sourcecode.
Where am I supposed to send the gift hamper to?

> When I receive off-list comments from users who are afraid to ask
> questions because of the way in which you and others appear to respond
> to people in general who are less knowledgeable than you about your
> code or the code base in general,

You probably think that you're the only one getting supportive off-list
comments from people. Guess what? You're possibly wrong.

> this only further substantiates my opinion that you should seek
> professional help and refrain from responding to any pleas for
> assistance because you don't and wont play nice with others.

Oh, professional help. Here we go.

> Others have chimed in and made comments regarding your condescending
> attitude and behavior but you seem to relish in the arguments, my
> personal opinion of you as a sane and respectful party who has the
> best interest of the b43 project they claim to represent has sunk so
> low that it's not publicly possible to state it without violating some
> law.

Wow. I think that reveals more of your attitude than of mine.

> If people didn't think you were so important to the project and had a
> replacement they would have dumped you years ago, they accept your
> antics because it's the trade-off they are willing to accept and many
> people from this list have made this comment to me, the difference is,
> I don't mind saying it publicly.

If you had followed b43 development remotely, you would have noticed
that I'm certainly not an important person to the project. Larry,
Rafal and all those others working on LP and N support are way more
important to the project than me.
And that's fine.

> Do yourself a favor and let it go, it's not beneficial to the project
> to act in this manner and it is my observation that you really seem to
> have no common sense regarding your treatment towards others when you
> can make unfounded remarks about an individual as if it were factual.

You're pretty entertaining. And that's actually the only reason I reply
to your mails.

--
Greetings Michael.