unable to write flashrom, functionality broken?

Michael Büsch mb at bu3sch.de
Thu Feb 3 19:29:05 EST 2011

On Fri, 2011-02-04 at 00:47 +0100, Peter Stuge wrote:
> > You're simply unaware of the basic Unix tools that help you find
> > what you are searching for.
>
> Not at all. If I was the one looking for the code that talks to
> hardware I'd not only know where to find it, but I'd also know every
> other component of hardware and software that the data passes through
> on the way.

A basic thing about software abstraction is that you do _not_ need
to know what a subsystem does internally. To understand the ssb_sprom
file, you do _not_ have to read one single line of sysfs code.
To understand the whole SSB SPROM writing, you have to read about 200
lines of code.

> > Luckily the tool to find something is called "find".
>
> I think you may have missed my point. One part is certainly to know
> how to find a file in a Linux system, but more important is the
> question of what to search for (a file) and where to search (in the
> kernel codebase). It's not at all obvious to a newcomer where the
> kernel edge is, or even that the kernel is so distinct.

I think we're probably drifting offtopic. Why would a newcomer who
doesn't even know what an operating system kernel is want to
write an SSB SPROM? That guy will brick his device anyway, as
he _will_ write incorrect data to the SPROM.

The next thing you'll probably blame on me is that I did not document in
the b43 documentation how to use a qwerty keyboard.

--
Greetings Michael.