b43 -- 4312 and built-in/static kernel

Larry Finger Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net
Sat Apr 30 01:20:10 EDT 2011

On 04/29/2011 08:27 PM, Alfred B. M. Cordero wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am building a static kernel. I have gotten the DVB card working
> by adding
> the .fw to linux/firmware and so I am doing the same thing with the
> 4312.
> The kernel builds fine, the 4312 is found and seems fine.
> dmesg reports the card, lspci shows it and so does ifconfig -a.
>
> ip link set dev wlan0 up pretty much hangs and none of the iw*
> commands
> work.
>

> The problem may be that at the request_firmware stage there is a
> mismatch
> between what I've compiled into the kernel and what
> request_firmware is
> requesting.
>
> I have ucode5.fw, b0g0bsinit and b0g0init in linux/firmware and
> added those to .config
>
> If anyone knows how to narrow this down it would be great.

What exactly do you mean by 4312? If you mean a PCI ID of 14e4:4312, then the
firmware above is partially correct. The ucode5.fw is correct, but you also need
b0g0initvals5.fw and b0g0initvals5.fw. In addition, you might need
a0g1initvals5.fw or a0g1initvals5. I no longer have one of those devices, thus I
cannot test.

If you mean BCM4312 802.11b/g, then your firmware selection is wrong. This type
of device will have a PCI ID of 14e4:4315 and will require different firmware.
For these LP-PHY devices, b0g0initvals13.fw, lp0initvals13.fw, and ucode13.fw
are probably needed.

Larry