Request for free-distributable Broadcom's (G|LP)-PHY firmware

Luis R. Rodriguez mcgrof at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 18:13:30 EDT 2010

2010/10/20 Rafał Miłecki <zajec5 at gmail.com>:
> W dniu 20 października 2010 23:50 użytkownik Henry Ptasinski
> <henryp at broadcom.com> napisał:
>> Sorry for the delay in responding.  We are exploring what is possible but
>> for the moment the answer is no. At present our focus is on providing the
>> best open source solution we can for 4313, 43224, 43225, 4329 and future
>> chips sets.
>
> Thanks for answer.
>
> Please, can you make totally sure person responsible for this gets it
> totally right? I believe it's very important.
>
> The easiest step for you, which we still would appreciate is really
> trivial one. It's *not* about writing any code, *not* about releasing
> anything new. It's just about releasing in under friendly license.
> This firmware is already available, we have access to it, we use it.
> The problem is that distributions can not ship it.
>
> If you let me use simplification: all we need as first nice step is
> Broadcom to say: "You can use it".

I should note not providing a redistributable firmware is actually
creating more motivation to keep working on open reversed engineered
firmware which may make take the devices out of compliance. Ultimately
this firmware is what is going to be used by users of the Linux kernel
if Broadcom does not provide any alternatives, as there is no option.

Please pass this message along :)

 Luis