Issues with 14e4:4315 on "lenovo ideapad s9" - works only after wl

Paul Fertser fercerpav at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 13:03:11 EDT 2010

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 08:39:04AM -0700, Larry Finger wrote:
> 2010/10/10 Paul Fertser <[1]fercerpav at gmail.com>
>   On Sat, Oct 09, 2010 at 11:37:37PM +0200, Gabor Stefanik wrote:
>   > The PhoenixBIOS DMA problem is known not to appear if wl has been
>   > loaded beforehand. Be patient, we are working on this. (But good to
>   > know the S9 also reproduces it - it's probably less expensive than the
>   > S10 for the team to buy.)
>
>   And yes, i know remote debugging is usually a pain but i think i can not
>   only provide ssh access but also some means to physically power-cycle the
>   device (though it'd take some time to find necessary parts).
>
> Before devoting too much effort to debugging, please try a recent
> compat-wireless version. There were some changes in b43 that are implemented
> there that might not be in your kernel.

I hoped Compat-wireless backport release: compat-wireless-2010-10-01-10-gb9b0a4f
is recent enough.

As for the remote debugging, it seems to me that having an ssh access
coupled with a computer-controlled outlet would be almost identical to
local, right?

> On my HP Mini 110 netbook, those fixes got rid of the DMA errors. Will
> they allow your S9 to cold boot b43?

I wonder if those DMA errors are just a sign of some other problem because
the driver automatically switches to PIO but it doesn't help.

mailto:fercerpav at gmail.com