Problems with b43 wirelesss

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Sun Jun 20 13:02:07 EDT 2010

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 01:59, William Bourque
<william.bourque at polymtl.ca> wrote:

> I experiment te exact same behavior.
> For some reason, it seems my card is unable to associate with some
> (about 1/3) of access point I try. Wpa_supplicant would then give me
> with the same error message as Magnus posted.

Interesting that you only see it with some APs.  I've only tried it
with the one I have so I thought it'd be more catastrophic than it is
then.  Not that it helps me when my router falls in that third though
:-(

> I don't know if it has something to do with b43, I get the same kind of
> behavior while using broadcom proprietary driver. When I use wl,
> however, nothing will show in the logs, the device will associate to the
> AP but no communication will be possible.

It works perfectly well for me with the broadcom proprietary driver.
Except of course that it pains my heart to have to use it.

> Google seems to tell me there is several other people that have this
> behavior on non-broadcom cards... it's just like something is fishy on
> wpa authentification but for all card.

Yes, I found a few posts on the interweb on this too.  So maybe it's a
problem in wpa_supplicant, or just somewhere in the stack of kernel
modules that is shared between several wireless drivers.

/M