Crash with BCM4312 using ad-hoc mode and promiscuous

Harry Bullen hbullen at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 17:47:13 EDT 2010

Harry William Bullen IV

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 5:14 PM, Larry Finger <Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net> wrote:
> On 07/20/2010 03:18 PM, Harry Bullen wrote:
>>
>> Hey, I've been using a Broadcom BCM4312 on Ubuntu 10.04 kernel
>> 2.6.32-23.  I found a way to crash the machine and wanted to know if
>> it was a known problem and if so is there a solution.  If not I'd like
>> to report this as a bug.
>> I first join an existing ad-hoc network and and assign myself an ipv4
>> address.  Then I use tcpdump or wireshark to listen to traffic in
>> promiscuous mode.  Finally I generate I traffic between two other
>> computers on the same ad-hoc network by having one ping the other.  At
>> this point the system freezes up immediately (including ssh sessions
>> and it cannot be pinged) and I have to hold down the power button to
>> reboot it.  If I use an AP, don't put the card in promiscuous mode
>> (when using tcpdump or wireshark) or don't generate traffic between
>> other computers the system doesn't crash.
>
> Is this a crash or a freeze? A crash would provide a crash dump, but a
> freeze does not and they are harder to debug. With a KDE desktop, it is
> possible to switch to a logging console to capture whatever info is
> available. Is this possible with Gnome? Are you using a standard kernel or
> one you built yourself? If the former, could you please provide the
> configuration? It should be found in /proc/config.gz. If you are compiling
> yourself, then select CONFIG_DETECT_SOFTLOCKUP and CONFIG_DETECT_HUNG_TASK
> in the Kernel Hacking section.

I think it's a crash.  If a switch to a tty console I get a bunch of
scrolling output that looks like a crash, but I'm not sure how to
capture it.

I am using the default ubuntu 10.04 kernel.  I have attached the
config file I found in the /boot directory I didn't find anything in
/proc

>> Other issues that may or may not be related.  The wireless card
>> sometimes switches between eth1 and eth2 after a reboot (I haven't
>> seen a pattern in this.)  When sniffing traffic on a wireless network
>> using an AP I only see traffic that is broadcast or sent to me,
>> even-though I am in promiscuous mode.
>
> The naming should be controlled by udev according to the rules in
> /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-network.rule. At least it works that way on
> my system.

I looking in that file and I see to settings for my card one labeled
eth1 and the other eth2.
This probably explains my problem

>> I have installed b43-fwcutter via: apt-get install b43-fwcutter.  But
>> this did not appear to have any effect.
>
> As that package only installs the program that extracts firmware from a
> Broadcom driver, there is no reason to expect it to make a difference.
>
> I will try to duplicate your result.

Thanks if there is anything I can do to help please tell me.