[RFC/RFT] ssb: Avoid system hang when SPROM read fails

Larry Finger Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net
Mon Apr 26 14:04:33 EDT 2010

On 04/26/2010 12:15 PM, John W. Linville wrote:

> Well, the "good" news is that I hit the "Unable to read SPROM" case.
> The bad news is that the box still hangs after the -ENODEV.  I have
> not yet tracked-down the exact location of the current hang.
>
> John
>
> P.S.  Sorry about the 'radio silence' -- I've been distracted with
> some other things.  Also, the box in question originally belonged
> to someone else who had configured it in a way that was less than
> friendly to kernel development.  I finally reinstalled it...

That box is certainly resistant!

I certainly understand your distractions. That has to be a major
understatement.

As the patch makes some improvement in both your system and the one in
Bug #15825, I'll push it as a real patch.

Would your box be available to me as a loaner? I have considered buying
a netbook for debugging purposes, but I cannot quite justify the cost.
In addition, Murphy's law would make whatever one I bought work without
any problems.

Larry