Asus 520gu

Larry Finger Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net
Tue Apr 13 11:16:05 EDT 2010

On 04/13/2010 09:28 AM, Celejar wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 15:24:14 +1000
> Chris Martin <chris at martin.cc> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 1:33 PM, Celejar <celejar at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The recent OpenWrt release, along with the recent b43 work on the LP
>>> PHY, inspired me to dig up my Asus 520gu and see what it could do.
>>

>>> OpenWrt has the radio disabled out of the box.  When I enable it, the
>>> system seems to hang.  I say seems, since I don't have serial access -
>>> all I know is that my telnet connection dies / freezes, and I can't log
>>> in again.  All I can do is reflash.
>>>
>>> Celejar
>>> -- <http://foffl.sourceforge.net>
>>>

>> I too have been looking the latest Openwrt release and the b43 driver
>> and I too was hoping that support for the broadcom 5354 was included
>> I have a console on my router so I can see what is going on
>>
>> When the wireless is enabled the b43 driver "appears" to eat all memory and
>> I get OOM (Out Of Memory) errors
>> This has been reported on the Openwrt Trac site
>> https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/7117
>> https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/6907
>>
>> I have yet to confirm if it is the b43 driver, mac80211, or other component
>> When I test on other broadcom chipssets that are not "5354" I have no real
>> issues
>> So the most likely culprit is the LP-PHY in the b43 driver, but this is yet
>> to be confirmed.
>>
>> I have tested with a 2.6.33.2 kernel and the latest wireless compat
>>
>> I have also only tested in AP mode.  I have not tried AH or STA ..  yet
>
> Thanks much.  I reported my experience, for whatever worth it has, to
> #6907, and I'll be following that bug.

When we did the original RE for the LP PHY's, the Broadcom driver
(4.150.x.x) did not fully support the 5354. The driver being used for
the N PHY is 5.10.x.x; however, I have not taken the time to observe all
the changes in the LP PHY code. Now that there are some devices that
fail, I will review the code and update the specs.

Larry